So, the new year is upon us, and of course, it’s the time to spend some time thinking about what we want this new year to bring for us. We all love the new year because it feels like an opportunity to start over. To take new approaches, and perhaps start the new year with a fresh outlook and state of mind. I suppose I’m a firm believer in having new years resolutions, because if you’re starting something new, you should probably have some goals so as to have a measuring stick to measure progress in your journey….and if you’re going to set goals, you may as well make them lofty.
Well, my resolutions for this year are pretty simple, yet important as I enter this new year with a smile, and lots of hope.
- Continue in taking a healthier approach to life: This above all else pertains to every aspect of my life. I want to eat healthier, think healthier, and make healthier decisions that are right for me. I think we often forget how every aspect of our lives often hinges on every other. Particularly how a positive mental disposition affects every aspect of our lives…but how many of us walk around every day with such negative and fearful outlooks on what is yet to come? I want to continue developing an optimistic disposition, and hoping for the best, and dealing with the worst when it comes, by rising above it, rather than wallowing in the depths of depression and lunacy that adversity brings with it. If that’s not lofty, I don’t know what is.
- Be happier with myself: This may seem odd, or obscure, but I think this is something that many of us can relate to in one way or another. I want to be happier with who I am, both physically, mentally, and emotionally by changing the things I don’t like, and building upon the things I do. I think this may require some external changes, but I think most of them are internal…simply learning to come to terms with certain things, and letting go of the negativity. You’ll find that positivity is a cornerstone of my approach to 2013.
- Push unimportant things to the side: We’ve all heard the phrase, “Don’t sweat the small stuff…and it’s all small stuff.” I’m totally embracing that more in this upcoming year. As it has been said:
“Don’t take life too seriously, because you’ll never make it out alive.”
We get so lost in the rat race of modern life that we forget those things which are ultimately most important; to laugh, and love, and connect with people and the world around us…at least that’s how I see it. I’m hoping to embrace this outlook anew in 2013. Unfortunately, when it comes to letting things go in favor of new opportunities, outlooks, and perspectives, sometimes we have to let people go to. While I’m not sure on my views on the greater scheme of life, along the lines of “Why are we here and what is our purpose?” I do think we are impacted in some way by the people we encounter…note that I did not say that everyone comes into our life for a reason. I’m not too sure I’m willing to subscribe to that train of thought. However, much like in any other aspect of life, sometimes people can wear out their welcome, or we simply grow apart, or beyond our abilities to positively affect each other. So, as I encounter the Negative Nelly’s in my life, I will have to seriously consider the possibility that this adventure called my life might just be a little too much for them to handle. In my best James Hetfield voice:
Sad But True!!!!!!!
- Be more open and honest with myself and the people around me: Let’s just be real: We all lie to ourselves, in one way or another. Whether it’s about how well your current relationship is going, or how good you look your skinny jeans, we all lie to ourselves, and consequently, to the people around us. I want to be more honest with myself in this new year. As I reflect on certain aspects of my life, I know that there are some things that I definitely need to change, and some truths that I simply need to accept and make things more copacetic in the overall picture.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: This is one of the reasons I relocated to Chicago. I Love BJJ!!! What can I say. It’s my passion, my addiction, my obsession perhaps? I don’t know how you want to label it, but it’s amazing to me, and I want to continue to evolve and grow in my learning of the gentle art. This goal closely relates to #1, because I would really like to compete again in grappling competition, but I have a very specific goal weight in mind before I do so, so hopefully in this new year, I can reach my goals. Particularly, I want to work tons more on my flexibility. I just don’t do that enough, and I need and want to! I’m so blessed to be healthy and able to train, and with such an amazing group of men and women. I can’t wait to do so more in this new year. I also want to venture out and see some of the other schools in the Chicagoland area. Gracie Barra is, and always will be my home, but I would like to see what some of the other kids in town are doing.
- Be adventurous: My adventurous nature has continued to grow and evolve over the past few years, and I want that trend to continue in 2013. I want to continue to do wild and crazy things, having breathtaking moments, great adventures, and odd moments. Whether it’s riding through the city naked, running a 6K covered in glow in the dark paint and glow sticks, or going to a Republican Christmas party…my life is about having fun, and enjoying each day as it comes. I want that to continue. I invite you all to come along for the ride.